I have never made cream of mushroom soup before but this was a successful attempt. I substituted the full-fat cream to a non-fat one (still loved it). It was simple, yet delicious. Also, I added some of my homemade garlic herb croutons that I made and bagged a couple of months ago. What an addition!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Total time: 30 minutes
- 5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free or low fat half-and-half
- In a large heavy saucepan, cook mushrooms in the broth with onion and thyme until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In blender or food processor, puree the mixture , leaving some chunks of vegetable in it if desired. Set aside.
- In the saucepan, melt the butter, whisk in the flour until smooth. Add the salt, pepper, half and half and vegetable puree. Stirring constantly, bring soup to a boil and cook until thickened. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Recipe taken from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13096/cream-of-mushroom-soup-i/
Lessons Learned: I didn’t use chicken stock because I wanted it to be that much more healthier (and because I didn’t have any stock is closer to the truth). I used water instead. I have to say that it was still very delicious and enjoyable. I had one bowl and thinking of going in for another. Simple and quick recipe. Can be adjusted in many ways I believe!